Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My Business is to Create

"I must create a system or be enslaved by another man's; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create."
Wonderful lines by William Blake, which I first got to know watching the movie P.S I Love You. Holly's dialogue after she tried to recite the poem to Gerry(and just failed haha) is quite touching and pretty much sums up my thoughts on creating anything...
"All I know is, if you don't figure out the "something," you'll just stay ordinary. And it doesn't matter if it's a work of art, or a taco, or a pair of socks. Just create something new and there it is. And it's you, out in the world, outside of you. And you can look at it, or hear it, or read it, or feel it...
...and you know a little bit more about you. 
A little bit more than anybody else does."
 Coming back to today, and what I'm going to talk about. A few months back I stumbled upon the technique of decoupaging(and fell head-over-heels in love :D). Imagine my surprise when I discovered Mod Podge (or something very like it, spelt Modge Podge) in Starmark!
I purchased a pair of  wooden bangles, dirt cheap, from literally the footpath( Kolkatans will know Gariahat). Managed to get hold of some image printouts...and with my bottle of Podge I was good to go!

For the first one, I used pictures by the maestro Picasso...






A close up...



For the next bangle I used a pretty damask pattern I found through Google image search.



So this is my first decoupage project, and I absolutely love the technique!!! This is obviously going to be something I am going to do lots in the future...




Thanks for reading, and a very Merry Christmas!!!
Happy crafting.... :)

2 comments:

  1. love your decoupaged bangles Somdeepa.. looking forward to see your creations with mod podge.. :)Merry Christmas to you too .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are lovely.......im yet to try decoupage! following u :)

    ReplyDelete

Do say what you think about this post! Thanks! :)