Friday, June 06, 2014

My First Layout

Yes, I have finally succumbed to the scrapbooking bug...I'll share my first layout with you guys today.

I started with an old photo of my Ma. I really love this photo of hers because she is smiling so fully, without anything held back, without any artifice.  Anyway, it was just lying about, not even in a proper album so I decided to create my first LO with it.



Making this was equal parts happiness and frustration . I felt happy when things were going right. But then I'd have some idea which could only be executed by some superior crafting products *like DIs and mists* which I absolutely do not own being a frugal crafter and all.  Finally I gritted my teeth and vowed to use only what I have and not moon about what I could have done with other products.(Frugal Crafty Moral#1)


I created three stencils for this project(hand drawn and cut. Imagine the agony). I used the easiest and most handy spraying system for the background...the good ol' toothbrush! I also drew the flower and the flourish, and what else, cut THAT out too.
I cut out some butterflies from the PPs (courtesy of Deepti) using my butterfly shaped pendant as a stencil.

I tried to follow the juxtaposition of old timeyness and bright colours of the picture : I used a green PP from the DCWV Heirloom stack. Finally added the caption(which is imitated from the font Janda Stylish Script) and the journalling. Here's the whole page :


Linking this to Lulupu and Itsy Bitsy.


I await with baited breath for your verdict...! But till then, happy crafting!

11 comments:

  1. Lovely layout of your mother. Love the background work...kudos on your first layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its truly praiseworthy how you managed to make this lovely LO without any professional craft supplies. Your stenciling is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I always love to see people expanding their creativity, you don't always need to have all the tools, but just need to think from a different perspective to make the most out of what you have...Very brave and it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely LO Somdeepa.. brilliant bg and bright colors..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, beautiful Layout, Somdeepa! Your mother is pretty!
    Thank you for joining us at Lulupu Challenge #32

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful layout. .love the background and all the hard work you put in..surely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elegant layout! And your mother looks so sweet and natural.. :)

    http://funzycraftygifts.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This piece is so very wonderful... I love the smile; it is a unique expression with nothing held back. I do remember how precious and expensive colour photography was in the days of dad's childhood :) He shows his photos very carefully, as if his life lies in them :) Am inspired by your LO. Look forward to creating one :)

    Ananda

    ReplyDelete
  9. U r so resourceful Som. Well done. What a perfect photograph Uve chosen for your first layout. If it makes u feel any better, I make most of my mists myself - mixing paint and water in a mister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful LO dear and Lovely pic! love the stencilling in the bg.
    Thank you for participating at Lulupu Challenge#32. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Somdeepa. Backing up to try to see what I missed. Love the photo and the layout. Kepp up th enice work. - Jim

    ReplyDelete

Do say what you think about this post! Thanks! :)