Monday, January 13, 2014

Almost From Scratch

The daughter of a friend of my mother's had had an accident recently. So my mother thought it would be nice if I could make a card for her to give when she visited the hospital. Now, I had never met the Didi in my life. So I had to opt for pretty much a generic card. But the problem came when it came to supplies. Again, NOTHING except for quilling paper. Not even white cardstock for the base. So what to do? The local stationary shop does not stock cardstock(India. More importantly, this is Kolkata :-\). So I glued together two sheets of thick art paper as neatly as I could. A girl's gotta make do with what she's got, unfortunately. Then my gaze fell on a box that was lying around. It was the container of a cosmetic gift set. It had quite a lovely picture of a heart. So I quickly dismantled the box and cut out the picture.
Imagine my surprise when I found the inside of the box was a nice lavender colour! I cut out the maximum part that could be reclaimed, and voila, I had lavender cardstock!
So, without further blabbering, here's the finished card...


The hearts, up close....



The quilling...



Aaaaand the inside...



Here's my warm up before writing the inside....


I earnestly beg forgiveness for all the fangirling and random scribbling...! But I like doing fake calligraphy, its quite therapeutic! Note to self : MUST buy proper calligraphy nibs and ink someday...

So I guess that's all for today...I hope Didi is well and healing...
Thanks for reading, and happy crafting!

2 comments:

  1. you made beautiful card out of nothing Somdeepa..cute hearts and quilled flowers ..your handwriting is fabulous, amazing .. ya do try calligraphy it suits you.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Somdeepa ! First of all I loved your blog's title " A Frugal Crafter "..I can related to it pretty much :D !! About cardstock. I also did same thing..Its difficultt get nice thick white sheet in my place too..Keep on searching you will surely find some options. I loved your card and your trial at Calligraphy is very nice..All the Best !

    ReplyDelete

Do say what you think about this post! Thanks! :)