Saturday, January 25, 2014

Altered Box

This is going to be a picture heavy post...
I had finished this project almost a week before but the stupid camera wasn't working till yesterday(Grrrrhhh!!!). This is my first altered project on this blog and I am proud to say I did some recycling and upcycling...

So, without further ado, here are the BEFORE pics...






 Its a box which contained a watch...

Before I show the transformation, here's the finished thing...(top view)




It is evident I had fun with kirigami during the making of this project. I used to do it as a child, but I took up the scissors again to see what I remembered, and this was the first attempt...



 Kirigami is such a fun thing to do! However weirdly you cut the paper, it always turns out to be a beautiful pattern...
But, I am digressing. So, here's the first pic of the box... decoupaged the papers and kirigami to the box...

 
The pattern paper is actually salvaged from an ancient wedding card I found lying about. Its not apparent in the photos, but the paper is really very beautiful...
With a bit more added on...


I thought of adding some flowers, but refrained from doing so because of two reasons. First of all, I wanted the gorgeous paper and kirigami to talk  for themselves without any distractions(I like my creations to be simple and elegant). Secondly, this box was going to be used regularly, so a flat surface would be more long lasting.
Here's a close up of the paper. The best I could do with the camera, sadly.


Added some very simple quilling


On the inside too...


Finally with all my treasure inside! Yes, this is going to be my new jewellery box!


Linking to Colour Conceptions Challenges and Itsy Bitsy Picture Bingo Challenge(used Pattern Paper, Mod Podge and free space).

Lastly, I must say that I'm loving the comments of my readers! Love you all and keep spreading the love!

Thanks for reading, and happy crafting!

9 comments:

  1. loved your Jewelry box Somdeepa ..Unique and beautiful :) love the quilling ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous box Somdeepa... :) very beautiful... specially the quilling... :) You know what I too have bought a quilling kit..... was very inspired by all the quilled jewellery I saw in the itsy bitsy challenge... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way how did you put your name and blog address in your pictures... Can you please guide me I would like to put them in my pictures too...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Beautiful Box Somdeepa...love the way of kirigami for decoration..

    Sindhu
    http://colorsofcraft.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple, beautiful and elegant ...somdeepa..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its very Elegant ! I loved the quilling on side !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your kirigami work . Its super!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Somdeepa !! Coming to your blog after really long time and feeling very inspired :) I loved your neat kirigami and quilling. Good that you didn't add anything because it's perfect the way it is. I'm inspired to try kirigami too :)
    Thanks so much for your encouraging words on my work always :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow somadeepa...u transformed d box so beautifully...liked its simplicity n elegancy...n kirigami cutouts r so neat n beautiful dear.
    shalu
    www.allbyheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Do say what you think about this post! Thanks! :)